Love Unlocks Joy!
Life Group Announcements
- Continue to pray for Pastor Joe Houser as he takes extended time off to focus on his health, family, and relationship with God.
- There will be a class on what it means to set healthy boundaries in our lives based on the book titled, Boundaries. Cost is $25 (includes copy of the book). The class will be taught by OB One’s Marriage and Family Therapist, Jenna Hillman, at 8:30 AM during first service in the Venue. See our church’s website for registration details.
- Divorce care will be a weekly seminar and help support group that will help those heal from the hurt and reality of divorce. It will be a 13-week class starting September 12th from 6:30-8 PM. The class will meet in the church office entrance and child care will be available upon request. Cost is $25. Please see church site for registration details.
- Church baptism and potluck September 8th, 11 AM-2 PM. Please bring a side dish/desert. The location will be De Anza Cove: 2948 N. Mission Bay Dr. Please see church site for more details.
- A good change is coming due to the growth of our youth group ministry! Our second service overflow Venue, will be ending on August 26, 2018 and going forward will be the official space for the meeting of the youth!
Life Group Questions
Speaker: Joshua DeGuido
Sermon Series: Joy!
Title: Love Unlocks Joy!
- A question was asked by Josh in the beginning of the service which was, “How can I experience the joy of the Lord?”Do you often times experience the joy of the Lord when you find yourself in good and bad times? If not, what do you think are some common obstacles? If you have learned to be joyful, what are some good tips you would tell someone?
- We saw a snapshot of Jesus choosing fellowship when He was in the Garden (Matthew 26:38) with Peter, James, and John. The Bible says His soul was exceedingly sorrowful. Yet in the sadness, Jesus chose fellowship because there is strength and power in numbers.What are some other reasons that it is important to surround ourselves with fellow believers and people that God can use to uplift us? What does it look like to have a support system also in the good times? (A helpful text is 1 Corinthians 12:1-31).
- Paul said in Philippians 1: 4-5, that he was thanking God and praying for the Philippians because of their fellowship. Fellowship can be translated as a commitment to coming together collectively and supporting one another while worshipping God.Are we loving others so well (like the Philippians) that they are thanking God that they know us? Likewise, are we surrounding ourselves with a support system of friends that are such a blessing to us that we thank God we have them in our lives?
- Paul also mentions in Philippians 1:7 that he was thanking God and experiencing joy because the Philippians were partaking in each other’s lives, especially Paul’s as he was chained in prison for the gospel.Do you have one, two, or more people in your life that you are partaking with? That is to say, you are so near to them that they feel like they are not going through this rough life alone?
- Loving one another not only helps others experience joy, but it also causes us to experience it as well. Jesus defines a true friend in John 15:9-13 and says that a true friend lays down their life for others and when that happens, joy is complete.What are some good, healthy, and common ways to “lay down our lives” for each other as the family of God? At the same time, what are some tempting excuses to lay down our lives for others?
Bible Verses Read Sunday
- Philippians 1:3-7
- Hebrews 10:24-25
- Acts 2:42-43
- Hebrews 13:1-3
- John 15:9-13