Impact: Who are you wearing?
Life Group Questions
- What stood out to you about this sermon Spencer preached?
- Let’s read 1 Corinthians 13:13 “If we don’t have Love we have nothing”. Paul’s point here is that Love coming first from Christ then to us should be our primary motivation for doing anything. Have any of you felt like you were ‘Burnt Out’ when you weren’t running on Love as your primary fuel source?
- Read these two definitions of Love then 1John 4:10 Agape“to take pleasure in the object of its affection, prize it above all other things, be unwilling to abandon it or do without it.” Agape puts the beloved first and sacrifices pride, self interest and possessions for the sake of that beloved. Thayer Lexicon Phileo is human love based upon reciprocation, it is bent towards our natural tastes and preferences. It embodies culture and beliefs. It’s about the bond you feel towards people like you, with the same interests, social graces, and style. Read 1John 4:10 “This is Love (Agape): Not that we loved God, but that He loved us.” How can we move from Philo Love to Agape Love with each other? How would your day change if you viewed people the way God views people?
- Read John 11:3 Why does this verse say “He who you (Jesus) Love” and not “Lazarus, who Loves you”?
- Read John 11:35 and 36. “Jesus Wept” Even though Jesus knew he would raise Lazarus from the dead he took the time to morn his death. Jesus is focused on the RIGHT NOW! God’s Love for us meets us in our pain RIGHT NOW! What does this say about his Love for us at every moment? How does this change the way you deal with broken/mourning people?
- Romans 3:23 Says we have all sinned and fallen short of the Glory of God. Spencer equated sin to cancer. We all have it just in different types and quantities. He also said that the Law=Sin as an MRI=Cancer. Fulfilling the Law is not the cure for our problem. Jesus is the cure. How does this analogy change our mindset about other people’s problems? How does this move us away from only a ‘Behavior’ modification to the Love of Christ?
A Special thanks to Davis our pastoral intern who helped the pastors design the questions this week.