Steps to new Depths
Life Group Questions
1. How did this sermon speak to you?
2. In John 6 we read how Jesus miraculously fed 5000 men and then in response to this we read in John 6:24 the crowd went in search for Jesus because they wanted more bread. But then in John 6:26-27 Jesus tells them to search for food that will not spoil, for eternal food. The point is not that searching for food or other physical needs are bad it is just not as good as the eternal blessing God wants to give us. Qt: Would you say that you are in search of Jesus? If so why? What is it that you hope Jesus will give you? How is God asking you to move beyond your physical needs and seek Him out for a deeper relationship?
3. Read John 6:28-29. Here Jesus tells them that to go deeper, to do the work that God requires, is to believe in Jesus. What does Jesus mean by believe in Him? What does that look like?
4. What promises of Jesus do you believe? Which promises do you not believe?
5. Do you believe Jesus is in control of your relationships/family? Do you believe that God is in control of your career and your finances? If you said yes, does your calendar, relationships, and bank account all back up your “belief”? If not then maybe you do not really believe as you think.
6. Read John 6:30-42. Why did the crowd want to see more miraculous signs? What was keeping them from believing and how is that similar in our struggle to believe?
7. Read John 6:43-59. What did Jesus mean that we have to eat His flesh and drink His blood? How is that symbolism relevant to our lives? Could you say you are symbolically feeding off the bread of Christ? What would that look like?
8. Spend some time praying for each other and sharing how you believe God is calling you to take a new step of depth in your relationship with Him.